Friday, July 15, 2011

Things are Looking Up: the Housing Situation

I am happy to report that things have improved since my last post. 

No, we haven't sold our house, but we have found someone to live in it for us.  Some good friends of ours will be renting from us until the house sells.  I won't use their real names here, but shall refer to them as "Morty" and "Gigi."  I do this for several reasons: first of all, to protect their privacy; secondly, because I haven't asked them if I can tell everyone about their living situation; and thirdly, because I find those names hilarious.
This is not really Morty and Gigi.  I'm using a fake picture for them as well as fake names.

So we will be moving out in about ten days, and Morty and Gigi will be moving in.  This is a win-win situation for all parties.  It's great for me and Peter because we won't have to leave our house vacant-but-partially-furnished-so-it-doesn't-look-empty.  We will have someone to mow and water the lawn and take care of the house's appearance.  They will show the house to prospective buyers as the need arises.  And we'll get a little bit of income from their rent. 

This is a good deal for Morty and Gigi (snicker, snicker - those names just crack me up!) because they are expecting a baby in a few months, and our four-bedroom house will be some pretty nice digs for them and their tot, when he/she arrives.  And when we get an offer on the house, it will take a month or two to close the deal.  So Morty and Gigi will have plenty of time to find another place to live.

This is my kitchen.  Gigi will enjoy cooking meals in it, I'm sure.

And before any of you ask: yes, we trust them.  No, they won't mind keeping the house clean and showing it to prospective buyers.  No, they are not going to trash the place.  And yes, they're cool with not having a definite end date for this situation.

Having this arrangement in place has made me feel 4000% better about moving (and yes, I know that's not a real mathematical figure).

While we still own our house in Salem, we won't qualify for a loan to buy a house in Pendleton.  So we're going to rent.  But before we can rent, we need to have a little cash saved up (for deposits, first and last month's rent, and whatnot).  But we don't have any cash (see my previous post).  So for the first couple of months, we're moving in with Peter's parents, Jim and Peg.

That's right, you heard it.  We're moving in with our parents.

This is what evenings at home with Jim and Peg are like.  No joke.

Boy, are we going to shake up their world!  Lucky for them, it's only for a month or two.  And I think they're planning on taking lots of vacations while we're living there.  And probably buying earplugs.

1 comment:

  1. I think Morty and Gigi will be great people to live in your house. They told us a bit about it the other day. I'm glad that worked out!

    ReplyDelete