Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Things are Looking Up: Improvements on the Homefront

Peter and I were talking about my blog the other day.  He said he wasn't sure he wanted me to write about all the details of our hard situation in life right now.  I can understand why he feels like that.  I don't really want all my friends to know that we don't have any money or that we're moving in with our parents.  I want people to think that we're successful and that we can take care of ourselves.

But in a way, I'm really glad I have this blog as a record of the things I worry about.  Because later, after God has worked everything out in the best way possible (which may or may not look anything like the way I wanted to do it), I can see that my family and I are very, very well taken care of.

Take, for instance, my post about our challenges in selling our house.  Here is a picture I included of the first thing people see when they drive up to our house:

Garbage cans and crumbling cement.  Real classy.
But now, thanks to my studly husband Peter and his equally studly friend Micah, that area now looks like this:

What garbage cans?  I don't see any garbage cans, do you?
That's an example of a situation we improved ourselves, with help from a friend.  But here's an example of a situation that improved and we had absolutely no control over it:

Remember this eyesore?
Yep, the neighbor's yard.  The house that sits in front of our flag lot, the house that people have to drive past to even get a glimpse of our house.  The appearance of their yard was a huge problem for us.  Potential buyers who were interested in looking at our house were taking one look at their yard and driving right on down the road.  But one day, our neighbors came outside and did a ton of work, and now it looks like this:

Wowza!
Check it out!  Real grass!  Way to go, previously-lazy neighbors!

And now for the best thing of all:

Gone, baby, gone!
We sold our car!  And when it came right down to it, I wasn't sad to see it go at all.  Now we don't have a car loan payment to worry about, and we have plenty of money to cover our moving expenses.

Looking back, I can remember how worried I was about each of these situations.  And now I can see that I really had nothing to worry about at all.  God took care of it all, and He will always take care of us.

Even if I get nothing else out of this whole experience, I will at least remember that one thing for the rest of my life.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, tell Peter I'm happy that you have this blog. Not because I like to hear about your problems, but because of many reasons. Here's a list:
    1. You're funny and I've always loved you and Peter (but not romantically, don't worry) and so I'm happy to feel like we're a tidge more in contact.
    2. Your faith strengthens mine. Nuff said.
    3. You're moving closer to me! Woo hoo!
    4. And I'm really happy that things are working out.
    5. We're not rich, either, so it's nice to hear stories that support staying at home with the kids (when possible) even though it means less mula to play with =)

    That's it. Happy moving!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelly, I don't know you, but I like you! I love your perspective, and besides that, you said, "tidge." That's a cool word!
    Karen - you're a blessing! Not just to me, but to lots of people. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete